Do you know 90% of Fortune 500 companies Do you want to use competitive intelligence to gain a competitive edge?
Competitive intelligence is the ethical collection and analysis of competitor information, best practices and the entire organization.
The phrase “spy” tends to have negative associations, but it’s actually one of the best ways to know what sites that rank higher than you are doing.
When working with competitive intelligence, it is important to gather as much information as possible.
Ubersuggest is a research tool that not only helps with SEO, but also helps you find out what your competitors are doing and can beat them.
How to use Ubersuggest to spy on competition
Surveillance is a great and perfectly moral way to see what your competitors are doing to get ahead of you in a SERP. It’s important to understand. The first five organic results are: 67.6% of all clicks. You can’t expect a lot of traffic unless you’re in the top 5.
You’ll want to start by making a list of contenders to model. Keep in mind that they don’t always have to be in your niche, but they want to find sites that rank higher than you for the keywords you want.
To find your competitors, do a manual search or use a tool like Ubersuggest to search for your target, the most valuable keywords, and see who ranks at the top of the SERP.
Once you have the list, you are ready to start exploring.
1. Search on the Ubersuggest homepage
One of the easiest ways to use Ubersuggest to spy on your competitors is through their homepage. All you have to do is enter your competitor’s primary domain URL into Ubersuggest first.
Once you’ve done this, find and note the following metrics:
organic keywords – The number of keywords your domain ranks for. This is important because if they rank higher than you, they are more likely to rank for more keywords than you.
You can use this data to find keyword gaps and see which keywords have not been ranked by competitors. Perhaps they have found very low-competition keywords that you are not pursuing.
You can then create content around those keywords and rank them relatively easily.
organic monthly traffic – See how much traffic your competitors are getting and compare that to your site.
You can use your competitor’s traffic view to see when and where things change. Google updates its algorithms frequently, resulting in constant traffic fluctuations. Use your competitor’s traffic trends as a benchmark for your own KPIs.
domain score – An overall domain score of 0-100 is very important to the success of your website. Sites with higher domain scores don’t necessarily have to work hard to produce quality content, as they tend to favor whatever combination Google has because the site is already trusted.
backlink – Backlinks are another very important part of the SEO puzzle. Backlinks occur when someone links from their page to your site. The more backlinks to your content, the more Google favors it.
Use Ubersuggest’s backlink checker to research the backlinks your competitors are getting and look for identical or similar links as part of your backlink strategy.
2. Track competitors within your own project
After you’ve created a project for your website on Ubersuggest, you’ll want to go to the dashboard.
At the bottom of the dashboard is a bar labeled “My Competitors”. Here you will find opportunities to track the activity of competitors and gain insight into their keywords, keyword gaps, traffic and backlinks.
The most useful function I’ve found is to compare common keywords and keyword spaces.
Common keywords are keywords that you and your competitors both rank for. You can use this to find out if a keyword is higher than your ranking, so you can look through your content and see what you can update.
For keyword gaps, you can use this to figure out what new content you should create around the already ranked less hanging fruit keywords.
3. Create a competitor project
One great feature of Ubersuggest is that it doesn’t limit the websites you can add to your project, so you can easily keep an eye on your competitors. Here’s how.
1. Go back to the dashboard and create a new project for each individual competitor website.
2. Add any keywords you suggest tracking (keywords already ranked by your competitor… could it be that much easier?) and feel free to add other keywords that you might be interested or curious about.
3. Add other competitors to the project to see how they rate each other.
4. Go through the “Top SEO Opportunities” list on your Competitor Projects dashboard to learn what they are doing wrong and find opportunities to improve your site where they are underperforming.
5. Scroll down the dashboard to see how backlinks do it. You can also find websites to target with backlink requests by clicking a link on the dashboard to see details about who is linking back to.
Even putting in a small percentage of this effort can make a huge difference to your overall SEO.
4. Keyword Tracking
You can also create a keyword list to keep track of the top keywords your competitors are competing for. This is one of my favorite strategies.
Use Ubersuggest to save keywords to a list so you can come back later.
- Organize keywords into meaningful lists
- View aggregated data for each list
- Save keyword research
- Easily continue from where you left off
Here are some tips when choosing which keywords to track:
- You are tracking keywords that you are not tracking, but your competitors are tracking.
- Use the Keyword Ideas report for inspiration
- Track keywords by name or location
- Keyword tracking that includes professional services/products that you do not provide
- Example: If you are a coffee shop and a competitor offers specialty lattes and has search volume, track this by keyword.
The biggest question is, why? Why is tracking all this information and does it really make a difference?
Let’s face it, it’s over 200 ranking elements Used by Google to determine who will rank you. There is no way to fix everything.
Keyword research is one of those things we can control and can do well with the right procedures and steps.
You may spend days, weeks, or months researching keywords on your own to figure out who you want to rank. The result may be nothing.
Instead, see what people are already ranking. It rides on other people to do the right thing.
This is fast track.
Of course, don’t expect to hit a home run every time. That’s not going to happen. Some win and some lose, but you can achieve this much faster if you track your competitor keywords instead of coming up with everything yourself.
Ubersuggest also has a Backlinks Opportunity report. This tool allows you to enter your own website and several competitors’ websites to see where they are getting their backlinks.
This can help in the following ways:
1. Gain insight into content popular with competitors that you can write from a different perspective (or may have already written content).
2. Quickly create a target list of websites to visit to share your valuable content (if you like your competitor’s content, they’re likely to like yours too).
3. Prioritize who to contact based on the domain authority and business relevance of the reference domain.
Let’s break down each of these points to help you understand why they are important.
Knowing which competitive content is popular will help you create shareable content that people want to connect with.
The reality is you can reach out to anyone you want, but if the content you’re sharing with them isn’t great, they won’t want to connect to it.
From there you can create a targeted list of websites to go with outreach. This is especially true if you are researching competitors in the same niche.
with #1 in Google’s average results 3.8x more backlinks than the rest of page 1Backlinks are still one of the most important ranking factors.
6. Download Chrome Extensions
Having information at your fingertips is important and with the Ubersuggest Chrome extension you can. Download the extension to view keyword insights directly from Google search results, YouTube and Amazon.
Downloading is simple and you get all your data right from the Google search results page. Information such as domain permissions, keywords, and monthly traffic are all displayed right below the title tag of your website.
You can also get traffic volume data and keyword difficulty information for searched keywords and related keywords.
Bonus Tip: Find and Avoid or Take Advantage of Your Competitor’s Mistakes
One great way to stay ahead of the competition is to figure out what they’re doing wrong and how you can use it. View your competitor’s site audit reports to check the health of your website.
You can look at the different SEO issues and see what’s going on with your site and how you can take advantage of their shortcomings.
Could their site be a bit slow? You can make your site run fast so that it cannot be used against you.
Maybe some content lacks proper meta description and title tags? You can create competitive content and have the appropriate metadata fetched.
1. Find websites that provide backlinks to competitors and access those sites that contain valuable content you can link to.
2. Find the most traffic pages on your competitor’s website and see if there are similar web pages competing. If you don’t create it! If so, optimize further with your target keywords.
3. Are you fighting with the same keywords? Find missed opportunities and try to differentiate yourself. Look for long-tail keywords or keywords with low search volume and low search difficulty.
Competitive intelligence helps you understand what your competitors are doing right and doing wrong. It’s really simple.
Knowing what they are doing and how they are succeeding can be a stepping stone to their success. To do so, you need good, competitive research tools.
Using Ubersuggest for keyword research brings variety and simplicity to your SEO process. You need a tool that isn’t complicated and can help you do a lot of work.
Click here to sign up for free Ubersuggest today! If you need help with keywords, SEO or marketing strategies, you can also ask our agency for help.
See how my agency can drive you. giant amount of traffic to your website
- search engine optimization – Unlock huge amounts of SEO traffic. See the real results.
- content marketing – Our team creates epic content that gets shared, gets links, and drives traffic.
- paid media – Effective pay strategy with clear ROI.