Israeli forces attack mourners carrying the coffin of the dead Al Jazeera journalist

Israeli forces carried coffins and attacked the mourning crowd. Al Jazeera Earlier this week, a reporter covering a raid in the West Bank was shot and killed.

According to eyewitnesses, Shireen Abu Akleh’s body was being carried from the village of Jenin, where he had been killed by Israeli forces, through Nablus and Ramallah, in a procession marching ahead of a funeral in East Jerusalem’s Old Town.

But many were attacked by Israeli security forces while mourners carrying the Palestinian flag moved the coffin of a Palestinian-American journalist from a St. Louis French Hospital near Sheikh Zara.

Videos shared on media networks and online showed armed Israeli officers descending over people carrying coffins with batons, beating and kicking several mourners. There have also been reports of throwing stun grenades.

Among those who fled the scene were children and women, and other members of Abu Akleh’s procession tried to defend her coffin, which at some point almost seemed to fall to the ground.


After the sudden violence, Israeli forces appear to be retreating, with a man on a stretcher wandering through the crowd.

The Thosand of Palestinians attended a funeral with their deceased parents on Friday before being buried in the Mount Zion Protestant Cemetery.

In recent days, sorrow has poured out across the Palestinian Territory and across the wider Arab world. Abu Akleh has been a widely respected correspondent for 25 years covering the harsh realities of life under the seemingly endless Israeli military rule.

Al JazeeraA Qatar-based broadcaster said Shireen Abu Akleh was killed by Israeli forces.

In the statement, Al Jazeera We call on the international community to “condemn and hold accountable the Israeli occupation forces that deliberately targeted and killed our colleague Shireen Abu Akleh”. Managing Director Ahmad Alyafei went to Jerusalem to attend the funeral.


Qatari Foreign Minister Lolwah al Khater tweeted the attack on the mourners.

Another Jerusalem-based journalist in Wednesday’s attack said: alkud The newspaper was also shot and wounded in the incident and blamed Israel for the incident.

Israeli forces initially claimed that their troops had killed two reporters.

The Israeli army said it was attacked by heavy artillery and explosives while operating in Jenin, and counterattacked.

“The incident is being investigated and the possibility that the reporters may have been shot by a Palestinian militant,” the military said.

Israel has now called for a joint investigation into the murder with Palestinian authorities.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has said that the case will be referred to the International Criminal Court. Al Jazeera 1997.

The coffin of the deceased American-Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh was placed in St. Joseph is transporting outside the hospital.


She became famous in the early 2000s when she covered the second Palestinian Intifada (an uprising against Israeli rule). She was shot in the head early Wednesday while covering an Israeli arrest raid in the village of Jenin on the west bank of the Jordan River. Israeli forces advanced again into Jenin early Friday. The Palestinian Ministry of Health said 13 Palestinians were wounded in the battle and were hospitalized. One of them was shot in the stomach. The Israeli army said on Twitter that it opened fire when Palestinian militants rushed to arrest the suspect. Israel captured the West Bank and East Jerusalem (including the Old Town and Holy Land sacred to Jews, Christians and Muslims) in the 1967 War. The Palestinians want both territories as part of their future state. Israel annexed East Jerusalem in an internationally unrecognized move and regards the entire city as its capital. On the day Abu Akleh was murdered, police went to his home in Jerusalem and appeared at other mourning events in the city to remove the Palestinian flag.

Leave a Comment