A young man in Ohio, USA, was stung by a bee 20,000 times and fell into a coma, his family and local media reported. Austin Bellamy, 20, fell into a medically-induced coma after unintentionally amputating a beehive while working on a tree for a colleague on Tuesday night, according to local news source Fox 19. Austin Bellamy is currently hospitalized on a ventilator, his mother Shawna Carter said on an online fundraising page she started to pay for his medical bills. According to Shawna Carter’s fundraising event statement, Austin Bellamy was cutting off a lemon branch when she accidentally cut down the hive of an African killer bee on Friday and was stung more than 20,000 times.
Austin Bellamy’s grandmother, Phyllis Edwards, told Fox 19: , ‘help! Help! help!’ And no one will help him. His family watched the episode unfold from the beginning, and were further attacked and unable to rescue him.
Who is Austin Bellamy? American man on ventilator after being stung thousands of times by bees
A young man in Ohio is fighting for his life after swallowing more than thirty bee stings and buzzing bugs. Austin Bellamy, 20, was cutting lemon trees last week and unwittingly opened a hive, immediately releasing a large number of African killer bees around the head, neck and shoulders, his mother Shawna Carter said. told Fox19Now. It looked like she was covered with a black blanket from her head to her neck and arms, she told a local outlet. Reportedly, Austin Bellamy was trimming the branches growing out of the tree on Friday morning, with his grandmother Phyllis Edwards and his uncle watching from the early stages. He suddenly cut open the hive and the ferocious bees flew away.
She and Bellamy’s uncle were also attacked and unable to help. I was about to climb the ladder to get to Austin… I noticed how tall he was, but… [by] Bee, she said. The firefighters responded and managed to get Austin Bellamy off the tree. Austin Bellamy was taken to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center and Edwards was transported in a rescue vehicle to a local clinic, the local outlet said. Austin Bellamy was placed on a ventilator and placed in a medically induced coma.
Shawna Carter said her child swallowed as many as 30 bees and was stung more than once, describing a fundraiser she organized to cover her medical bills. She informed Fox19 that hospital staff were ‘sucking’ bees from Bellamy until Sunday morning. She said at first she fainted when she heard what had happened to her child. Austin Bellamy finally woke up on Wednesday, but remains in the hospital, according to Carter’s Facebook page. Doctors expect Austin to make a full recovery.